Wednesday, September 7, 2016

4 Elul, 5776

Personal Reflection

A rabbi was stopped by a Russian soldier while he walking in his shtetl. The soldier aims his rifle at the rabbi and demands, “Who are you? Where are you going? Why are you going there?” Completely calm and unfazed, the rabbi asks, “How much do they pay you?” A bit surprised, the soldier responds, “Twenty-five kopecks a month.” The rabbi pauses, and in a deeply thoughtful manner says, “I have a proposal for you. I’ll pay you fifty kopecks each month if you stop me here every day and challenge me to respond to those same three questions.”

We can and should ask ourselves on a regular basis:
·       Who am I?
·       Where am I going?
·       How am I going to get there?
Even though the answers may change, asking the questions regularly serve to affirm the path that we are on or can motivate us to choose a different path if we cannot take pride in our answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment