Thursday, August 19, 2021

Elul 11 5781

 Elul 11, 5781/August 19, 2021

Rabbi Michael Birnholz

Sometimes it is worth taking Jewish wisdom literally. As we enter this month of Elul and are called to do Cheshbon Nefesh, we do acts of reflection as part of the accounting of our soul. I am challenging myself to, quite literally, take out a mirror.  This act of reflection will happen in two dimensions.  I will set aside the same time each day and then one day during the month where the reflection will happen at the top of each hour.  This act of physical self-reflection will be a challenge to look at myself and around myself.  What is the quality of light?  Where is the place that I am sitting? In this mirror I can identify things I don’t like or elements of my appearance that I am proud of. Something I can change? Something that is permanent? As I consider appearance, I will try holding the mirror at a different angle. Does that impact my perception?


Many of us journal or leave notes behind so we can see how we have changed in the past year.   I feel like it is easy to go to the extremes of dismissing one’s appearance or being too harsh.  In this month of Elul, I seek to make the image of my appearance into a path of soul reflection and transcendent connection.


Baruch atah Adonai, sheasani b'tzelem Elohim... Praised to You, Eternal One, as we seek You in our reflection….


No comments:

Post a Comment