Monday, August 13, 2018

Elul 15, 5778

Rabbi Alan E. Litwak

Who Was I?  Who Am I? Who Will I Become?

Every day, I change. I shift, sometimes even lurch, towards my future self.
Not just me, but you, the company down the street, our government, and our society.
Ask yourself:
Am I more compassionate than than I was five years ago? More tolerant? More open to new ideas?
Have I become more inflexible? prejudiced? fearful?
Grouchy, angry, and bitter is not where you begin. It is a place you end up.
Ask yourself:
Can I intentionally choose a more trusting, hopeful, and encouraging path? Can I be more open to new possibilities and positive change?
Every day, though each choice we make, we create a society, a company, a our individual selves.
We do not become grouchy, angry, and bitter all at once. We do it in tiny daily increments.
We are always becoming, and we can always become something else, if we care enough to make that choice.
Elul is the time to begin making tiny, daily, incremental steps in a different direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment