Monday, August 13, 2018

Elul 9, 5778

Rabbi Charlie Cytron-Walker

#InspiredToLive

In the Talmud (Shabbat 153a), Rabbi Eliezer instructs his disciples to “do t’shuvah (repentance) one day before your death.” When his students protest that they can’t know when they are going to die, Rabbi Eliezer responds that it’s all the more reason to do it today. The idea of doing t’shuvah means to turn in the right direction – turning towards God or refocusing on our mission in life.
Numerous Elul teachings help us to begin thinking about our mortality, for once Rosh Hashanah arrives, the message is not subtle. “Who shall live and who shall die?” comes with the understanding that none of us will live forever. Our tradition understands this, which is why many of the prayers and rituals surrounding the Days of Awe lead us to important questions: If I die in the near future, will my soul and my conscience be clear? Am I living my values? Am I proud of me?
Elul and the Days of Awe are designed to shake us out of what’s normal and bring a sense of urgency to the act of living – at least for a little while. While we can’t change the past, may need to recognize our mistakes, heal relationships, reconnect with family or our tradition, or simply appreciate each new day. We’re only given so many new days. By acknowledging the reality of death, we are inspired to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment