Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Elul 4/August 19

We All Want the Same Things

I used to think I knew everything.  I was a “smart person” who “got things done,” and because of that, the higher I climbed, the more I could look down and scoff at what seemed silly or simple, even religion.  

But I realized something . . . that I am neither better nor smarter, only luckier.  And I should be ashamed of thinking I knew everything, because you can know the whole world and still feel lost in it.  So many people are in pain – no matter how smart or accomplished – they cry, they yearn, they hurt.  But instead of looking down on things, they look up, which is where I should have been looking, too.  Because when the world quiets to the sound of your own breathing, we all want the same things: comfort, love, and a peaceful heart.   - Mitch Albom, Have a Little Faith

  • Can you find the time today to name and reflect on your good fortune?  
  • In what ways does your good fortune reflect the things that everyone wants; comfort, love, and a peaceful heart?
  • Can you do one act today that brings those things to others?

No comments:

Post a Comment