Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Elul 8/August 23

No is Necessary
This summer, my daughter, Naomi, volunteered for several weeks at summer day camp.  She worked with the 2-year old group and, as a result, came home with her fair share of funny stories.  One day, one of the boys was playing with his toys when it was time to go to the pool.  When the counselor told him that he could not bring his toys to the pool, the boy became hysterical.  When asked what the matter was, he responded, “You said ‘No’ and I am going to cry until you say ‘Yes.’”

The fact is that, no matter what age, we do not like being told “No!”  
At the same time, we don’t like telling people “No” either.
However, in order to keep your promises, fulfill your obligations, and maintain your reputation, reality dictates that you have to say “No.”

No I cannot get together with you.  No, I cannot do this deal.  No, I am not capable of doing what you want me to do.  No, I cannot attend your event.  No, I unable to assist you. I apologize, but no, I cannot. I am sorry but, if I want to be able to do the important things, sometimes I have to say “No.”

“No” is the base on which we can build our “Yes.”

No comments:

Post a Comment